2nd Annual FERIA Partnership Conference
“Supporting Latino Families’ Culture & Language: Building Bridges to the Future”
Saturday, November 5, 2016
8:00 AM – 3:00 PM (PST)
Our goal is to provide families in the South Bay and San Diego area with educational information to better support their children’s education, mental health well-being and access to community resources.
Senator Ben Hueso
Ben Hueso was elected in March 2013 to represent the 40th Senate District. The district includes portions of San Diego and all of Imperial County. Hueso previously served as an Assembly member where he championed legislation to create jobs, improve access to healthcare, create housing, secure clean and reliable water, resources, and create safer neighborhoods. Hueso also served as a San Diego City Council member where he was elected as Council President and served on the California Coastal Commission. Hueso holds a Bachelors of Arts degree from UCLA. He and his wife, Laura, live in Logan Heights with their four sons.
Diana Pastora Carson, M.Ed.
Carson is a teacher, author, disability rights advocate, and a consultant and speaker on inclusion and diversity as it relates to disability.Her journey began as a child when her brother was not allowed to go to school because he had a disability. She was overjoyed when a law was passed to allow all children with disabilities to attend school. At school on the playground she was eager to play with her brother until she was stopped by a big metal fence. That day planted a seed of desire for a world where all people truly have the same opportunities.
Our workshops are presented by experienced speakers that work closely within our San Diego community and the topics we discuss are determined by what our community needs the most.
Student Leadership Program
- Working with English Learners:
- Self Determination
- Creating Able Pathways
- Building Strong Family Support System
- (Home ● School ● Community Connection)
- The Department of Special Education SDSU
- Adelante Project, SDSU
- Southern Area International Languages Network (SAILN), SDSU
- Dual Language and English Learner Program, SDSU
- Parents Institute for Quality Education (PIQE)
- San Diego Unified School District
- Sweetwater Union High School District
- South County SELPA
- Harold J. Ballard Parent Center
- State Council on Developmental Disabilities, San Diego, Imperial Office
- San Diego Regional Center (SDRC)
- Disability Rights California
- Team of Advocates for Special Kids (TASK)
- Exceptional Family Resource Center
- The California Southern Optimist Clubs (15)
- Molina Health Care
- Arc of San Diego & Other Organizations/Agencies
- Mental Health America of San Diego County